Thursday 22 March 2012

An Amazing day in Edinburgh

[An old diary entry which I put on Facebook a long time just reposting it here because I want to get back into writing and blogging and this might kick start me a bit]

==07:25 Sunday September 2010

Wow.

I could just end the diary entry right there but I guess I'm expected to explain?

Expect a lot don't you?

Yesterday was a wicked day. As usual I had a blank mind of no expectations but wow, I experienced something wonderful.

Met Natalia and had a brief hug, she's an apprehensive, brief and slight - type hugger, a shame but not the end of the world.

(I've always wished to become of those charming, subtly overpowering huggers who squeeze their victims into a lovely, warm,

loving beat hug .. Alas I can dream...

We trotted out of Edinburgh Waverley with the usual smiles and laughs of disbelief and surprise of people meeting for the first time

in "reality" *

*It's not like chatting online is another plane of existence, separate from the world we live in the rest of the time but "real" and "online"

or rather "just online" are used so commonly in modern language.

We came back here to her stylish flat in the suburbs of Edinburgh, said hello to her hearty polish housemate Annya (Anna) and Nat made

tortillas with jam as if they were pancakes was a bit odd but was alright.

We went to the supermarket to get a few things for Annka*'s kid, who is ill at the moment. ( * -ka suffix is a sweetness multiplier in Poland for females ) It was nice just helping Natalia with the shopping I guess because it again grounded us in "reality"

Later on in the day the main attraction was Arthurs seat, the large hill/small mountain that overlooks the whole of Edinburgh.

As we all know I am absolutely terrified of heights.

There is zero percent possibility that I would have gone there on my own, it just wouldn't happen.

But of course with the big strong Natalia - who eats mountain wolves for breakfast and mugs burglars before lunch ANYTHING is

possible.

The slope up was of medium steepness for the first section, the path was also wide but soon enouh the nice, grounded, blocks of flats we passed earlier in the day could fit into two centimetres between outstretched fingers the path we walked on also closed to about 1.5m width. I began to moan and plead in fear "I'm really scared" "I don't like this!" "I would never do this!" I was really frightened.

Yes yes I know that my great fear is quite irrational but it is also very real, my mind begins playing out the hideous tumble down jagged rocks breaking my body into awful shapes like a child playing with a doll. I constantly can't stop thinking of the seconds of free-fall until the ultimate point of impact enlightens me as to what - if anything - happens after death.

As you can tell from my in-detail description, my mind and my fear is terrible.

BUT Natalia and I pushed on and kept going, the path changed at times it got steeper and there were stone-step areas. I liked these areas

they reminded me of Mt. Tsukuba, last year, in Japan. I could use my long legs to their full advantage and speed up the rocks but I couldn't go far because though Natalia vanquishes daemons and murders murderers she is actually a sweet little girl - literally - long blonde hair, a little cardigan wrapped round her with soft pale blue jeans and cute 'lil navy blue shoes.

Being the sweetie she actually is unlike the crime-fighting superhero I've described she can't climb like a pro. It created a funny dynamic actually. In vertical rock jumping sections I clearly enjoyed myself and sped ahead and wanted to go faster but then in any part that had a ledge, a visibly more possible way to fall-to-death then I was reduced to a fragile porcelain doll and started spouting stupid stuff but actually cracked out some great jokes.

Despite my terror, the views were stunning, it was an early summer's evening and the yellow sun was slowly setting, shining light over all the city below, when we go to the top we could see everything. The whole town laid out before us.

Had some sarnies, had a bit of rest at the summit amazed at what we'd done. There were two guys at the top, a Frenchmen and an American (this isn't a set up for a gag) debating working conditions and human rights of legal and illegal immigrants in America, France, Sweden and Europe compared to America. It would have been quite interesting but they sounded quite pretentious and a bit high and mighty. ....shame

... Later in the evening Natalia and I ended up at an amazing pub "The Doctors" on Forest road. It was a medium sized place with a good

atmosphere, traditional interior and great bears hahahaha BEARS! *BEERS, though if they had great bears in a pub in a pub running freely then It'd be marginally worse than any mountain.. It'd be worse than a bull in a china shop :D

Anyway, great beers, including the epic, epic CALEDONIAN 80!

...which to be honest is the real reason I came here, let's be honest; £40, 3 changes, a 4 hour journey with an early start all just to see a friend??? add some culture on top ..

PFFF your 'avin a laugh entchya!? 'ts all bout the booze ennit OI OI!

rofl I'm actually cracking myself up here, spent the last... (08:45) hour and a half remembering yesterday and how great it was, while I wait for Natalia to wake up (she just did \o/ )

...Caledonian though is more bitter than I remember it, still nice though. Just having a drink with Natalia with some good beer was really really nice, dreamt of doing that for literal years and FINALLY we could just chat face to face like that. It was really great!

........I could just written "Wow" though :D :D

-- Endless Laughter --

Moz

No comments:

Post a Comment